If you are a new student, the state of Colorado requires you to take an assessment test and enroll in appropriate courses unless you qualify for an exemption.
Accuplacer® is a computerized placement test. It is given on a walk-in basis (no appointment necessary) and is not timed. Please arrive with a government-issued photo ID at least two hours before the testing center closes. See Testing Center hours.
The test consists of:
- A mathematics test
- A sentence skills test
- A 300-600 word essay
- Optional: Biology placement test; Chemistry placement test
Reasonable accommodations will be provided with advance notice for persons with documented disabilities. No variation of the assessment can be made without prior approval. See Disability Services for more information on testing accommodations.
Testing Out Of State
To take the Accuplacer® in your local community, you need to do the following:
- Contact a local college or university testing center to see if they provide proctoring services. The testing center will need a computer with Internet access. Be sure the chosen proctor is willing to give a test lasting anywhere from one to two (or more) hours.
- Once you have located a site, complete this form, which will be automatically e-mailed to our office. We will contact the proctor for approval and notify you once the proctor site has been approved.
Learn more about the Accuplacer assessment:
Exemptions from Accuplacer Assessment
Some students may be exempt from taking all or part of the assessment. Exemptions are granted with appropriate documentation. You might be eligible for an exemption from taking all or part of the Accuplacer® assessment if you:
- Possess an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. Associate of Applied Science (AAS) or Associate of General Studies (AGS) degrees do not qualify for this exemption.
- Have completed an English and math course with a C or better at a regionally accredited, post-secondary institution.
- Achieved ACT scores of English (18), mathematics (19), or SAT scores of verbal (440), mathematics (460). The ACT or SAT must have been completed within the past five years.
- Enrollment in one course for either employment enhancement or personal interest.
Math placement based on ACT
If your ACT Math score was:
You may register for:
|MAT 201 Calculus I
|MAT 125 Survey of Calculus, MAT 166 Pre-Calculus
|MAT 122 College Trigonometry
|MAT 121 College Algebra, MAT 123 Finite Math
|MAT 135 Intro to Statistics
|MAT 120 Math for Liberal Arts, MAT 155/156 Integrated Mathematics
English placement based on ACT
If your ACT English score was:
|You may register for:
|ENG 122 English Composition II
|ENG 121 English Composition I
NOT eligible for a one-course waiver:
- Students under 20 years of age
- gtPATHWAYS courses
- English and math courses
The first Accuplacer® assessment is free. Students may challenge an English or math course placement by retaking the Accuplacer®.
Retaking the Accuplacer®:
- A student may choose to challenge a course placement by retaking the Accuplacer® the next business day.
- Student must pay $5 per section to retake the Accuplacer®.
- Students who have already taken the Accuplacer® twice must complete the A+dvancer™ tutorial prior to taking the Accuplacer® a third time. A+dvancer™ costs $40 per subject area but includes a retake of that specific section.
- Students who want to take the Accuplacer® a 4th time must pay $5 per section. Please note: A student may only have 4 scores within the past five years in each subject area.
A+dvancer™ Tutorial Program
The A+dvancer™ tutorial is a computerized program that provides students with an online personalized study program. The program has a diagnostic test which analyzes what the student knows. Lessons are assigned based on the components that the student has not fully mastered. Contact your campus to schedule a time to take the A+dvancer™.
Note: Completion of the A+dvancer™ Tutorial is not a guarantee of higher course placement or success in an FRCC English or Math course. The A+dvancer™ Tutorial fee is non-refundable.
The A+dvancer costs $40 per subject area. This fee includes one free Accuplacer® retest. Subject areas include:
- Elementary Algebra
- College Level Math
- Sentence Skills
This free online math skills course can help you prepare for the Accuplacer.
Sample Accuplacer questions
Arithmetic study guide from Aims Community College | Text version
Elementary Algebra study guide from Aims Community College | Text version
College-level Math study guide from Aims Community College | Text version
Sentence Skills study guide
Biology Placement Test study guide
Chemistry study guide
Accuplacer iPhone App from iTunes for $1.99
All downloads (except the iTunes app) require current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you can download free.
Additional Math Study Guides
West Texas A&M University math Accuplacer study guide
Video Math Study Guides by Community College of Aurora
Additional Reading and Writing Study Guides
University of Iowa writing tips
Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Capital Community College Foundation grammar guide