Other Residency Options

Your State Participates in the WUE Program

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program is a ‘guest pass’ for students who are maintaining their residency in another state and do not intend to establish Colorado residency. The program allows students who are residents of states that are part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education to be eligible for a tuition rate that is less than non-resident tuition. At FRCC, eligible students pay 50 percent more than in-state tuition, which is considerably less than non-resident tuition. See the WUE website for a current list of states participating in the WUE program.

To receive WUE tuition rates at FRCC:

  1. Complete a WUE application.
  2. Submit all requested documents to the Admissions and Records Office at your campus no later than 30 days after the start of your earliest course.

You must submit a new WUE application and documentation for each semester. If you are under 23, provide your parent documentation.

You have a Visa from Another Country

Non-immigrants in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition:

  • F-1 and F-2
  • H-3 and H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3)
  • J-1 and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee
  • M-1 and M-2

Other types of visas are eligible to Petition for Residency. For additional information, please contact the Admissions and Records office at the campus you wish to attend.

You are an Asylee/Refugee

To qualify for in-state residency if your I-94 was issued over 12 months ago and does not have an expiration date, and you meet the 12 month residency requirements:

  1. Provide a copy of your I-94 to the Admissions and Records office at your campus. If you do not have a copy of your I-94, you can get a copy at the Department of Homeland Security website.
  2. The deadline to submit your I-94 (or a Correction to Application for Tuition Classification form) is the earliest drop date for your courses. If you miss the deadline, you will need to submit a Petition for Residency.
  3. If after providing your I-94 your residency status does not change and you believe you qualify for Colorado residency, please contact the Admissions and Records office at your campus.

Your/Parents' Job was Transferred to Colorado

If your job or your parents' job was transferred to Colorado as part of the Economic Incentive Program, you may qualify for in-state tuition.

To qualify for in-state tuition, provide:

  • A letter from the employer confirming employment began before the move.
  • A letter from the State of Colorado confirming the employer has qualified for the Economic Incentive Program.

You are a Ward of the State

To qualify for in-state tuition, provide:

  • Ward of the State document. You may need a correction form or a Petition for Residency if more information is needed.
  • If after providing the Ward of the State document your residency status does not change and you believe you qualify for Colorado residency, please contact the Admissions and Records office at your campus.

Four-Year Residency Rule

If your parents (or court-appointed legal guardians) reside in Colorado for four years and establish residency elsewhere, you will remain eligible for in-state tuition if:

a. Your parents leave Colorado after your junior year of high school and you enroll at a Colorado public college or university within three years and six months after your parents leave Colorado.


b. You maintain continuous residency in Colorado. This provision will generally be met if you continue to reside in Colorado after your parents leave or if you reside outside the State only temporarily (for example, to attend college or for military service) while maintaining Colorado connections, such as voter registration and income tax filing.

Contact Us