Orientation will help to prepare you for taking online classes at FRCC and teach you how to use Desire2Learn (D2L), FRCC’s online course management system.
Required for First-Time Students
Students who are going to take their first online course at FRCC are required to complete the orientation for online classes, preferably by the first day of the semester, but within the first week of course(s) at the latest. Understanding the expectations for online classes and how to navigate the Desire2Learn (D2L) system will help you avoid being overwhelmed when you start your classes, and allow you to focus on your course work without being distracted by technical and logistical concerns.
Two Choices for Orientation
The first option is to complete an online orientation “course” in D2L.
- This will be available for the Fall 2014 semester starting on July 21, 2014.
- This is an orientation, not an actual for-credit course.
- It typically takes students one to one and a half hours, and should be completed before you start your classes.
- For detailed directions, log in to D2L.
- From the “My Home” page, scroll down to the “My Courses” section and click on the "Orientation to Online Learning" link.
- This will take you to the orientation main page, where directions are listed.
The second option is to attend a one-hour online, live webinar session.
- Fall 2014 webinar dates have passed, however, the D2L Orientation (see above) is still available.
- Webinars for the Spring 2014 semester will be listed by the first week of December.
For reminders on how to use any of the D2L functions or tools you will learn about during your orientation, see our online tutorials.
AAA 091: This is a 1 credit, 5 week long online course focusing on how online learning works. It is a great way to learn all about online learning with the guidance of an instructor before you take an online class! Students who take this course are exempted from having to complete the Orientation to Online Classes.
Questions? Call the Online Learning staff at (303) 404-5513 or (970) 204-8250.