Assessment Testing

If you’re a new student, you may need to take a placement test before you can enroll in classes (unless you qualify for an exemption). This assessment will help us place you in the right courses when you start at Front Range Community College.

Do I Need To Take the Assessment?

Complete this form to help determine if you need to take the assessment. You may not have to take the placement test if you:

  • Have an Associate of Arts (AA) or Science (AS) or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.

  • Earned a C or better in math and/or English at a regionally accredited college or university. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.

  • Have qualifying ACT or SAT scores from the last three years. Unofficial test score documentation is accepted.

  • Are over 20 years old and taking one course (that is not English, Math or a GT Pathways class) for personal interest or job enhancement.

What’s on the Assessment?

All students take math and reading assessments and complete a 300- to 600-word essay. For certain degree or certification programs, students may also need to take a biology and/or chemistry assessment. (Find out your program’s requirements.)

Getting Ready

Getting ready for your assessment? Check out these free study guides and resources.

Additionally, the FRCC Larimer Campus offers in-person support at two locations. Contact them to learn more:

Where to Take the Assessment

Testing is offered at all FRCC campus testing centers.

Not in Colorado?

If you are currently living outside of Colorado, and you would like take your placement test at a testing center in your local area, use this form.

Important Test-Day Notes

  • The test must be taking in one seating, and can only be taken once.
  • Tests are not timed, but usually take two to three hours to complete. 
  • Plan ahead. You must complete the test by the time the testing center closes. See testing center locations and hours of operation (be sure to choose the campus where you'll be taking the test). 
  • Bring your student ID number and a government-issued photo ID.
  • There is no charge to take the assessment.

Disability Accommodations

If you have a documented disability, please contact us ahead of time for a longer testing time, reduced distractions, or other reasonable accommodations. To learn more about accommodations, visit disability services.

Successful Students