Colorado In-State Tuition Requirements 

You are classified as a Colorado resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on the information you provide on your admissions application. To qualify for in-state rates for Front Range Community College tuition, you must:

  1. Physically reside in Colorado for 12 consecutive months.

  2. Have legal ties to Colorado for 12 consecutive months preceding the beginning of the first day of the term with the intent to remain in Colorado indefinitely.

Examples of legal ties (intent) defined by the state of Colorado may include:

  • A Colorado driver's license

  • Registered voter

  • Colorado vehicle registration

  • Employment

  • Filing and withholding state taxes as a Colorado resident

Classified as a Non-Resident?

If you have been classified as a non-resident and believe you meet the Colorado residency requirements (based on the guidelines outlined above), select the option below that best describes your situation to see how to establish residency:

Colorado residency information is available on the Colorado Department of Higher Education residency website.

Residency Change Request Process

  • The deadline to submit the Correction to Application for Tuition Classification form is the earliest drop date for your courses.

  • The priority deadline to submit the Petition for Residency form is two weeks before the first day of the semester.

  • The final deadline for the Petition for Residency form is 30 days after the first day of the semester or 30 days after the start of your earliest course.

  • Submitting a residency change request does not imply that your residency will be approved.

  • Residency change requests are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • Correction forms will be reviewed within one week and a Residency Petition will be reviewed within two weeks. A decision will be emailed to your student FRCC email account.

  • Non-residents who enroll in classes while their residency classification is being reviewed must pay the non-resident rates to hold a place in classes.

  • If a residency request is approved, you will receive a refund for the difference in tuition.

  • If your residency request is denied, you will be responsible for paying the non-resident tuition if you remain enrolled.

  • Any student who is denied in-state tuition classification after petitioning for in-state tuition may appeal the decision of the Tuition Classification Officer. The student must appeal in writing and provide any additional supporting documentation available to substantiate the claim to in-state tuition classification within 15 days of the denial.


Feel free to reach out to our team.

Boulder County Campus

Administration Building
303-678-3635 | Email Us


Larimer Campus

Mount Antero Building
970-204-8107 | Email Us


Westminster Campus

Welcome Center 
303-404-5414 | Email Us