The application period for the spring semester 2018 is August 14, to September 8, 2017. Complete the online application.
Nursing Program Admissions Process
Important to Know
Admission into the Front Range Community College Westminster Campus Nursing Program uses an application process. View/print the criteria.
- Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements detailed below and apply during the specified application period.
- Applications will be accepted twice a year, once for fall and once for spring admission. All positions will be filled from the competitive process pool.
- Any student who has failed two FRCC nursing courses or is otherwise ineligible to return to any FRCC nursing program is ineligible to apply.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed, nor will the Westminster Campus Nursing Department accept any additional materials, after the posted application deadline.
Steps to Apply
1. Apply to FRCC
2. Take the placement tests through the FRCC Testing Center or submit ACT/SAT scores if taken within the past five years. Test into MAT 103 by completing MAT 050-Quantitative Literacy, or the Elementary Algebra assessment test with a score of 60 or higher. (Higher level math courses are also accepted. Math 107 does not qualify.)
3. Complete the following prerequisite coursework with a letter grade of “C” or higher:
- ENG 121 English Composition I
- PSY 235 Human Growth and Development
- HPR 108 Dietary Nutrition (1 credit) - or - HWE 100 Human Nutrition (3 credits) recommended if pursuing a BSN.
- BIO 201 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4 credits with lab)*
- BIO 204 Microbiology (4 credits with lab)*
*All science courses must have been completed within 7 years of entry into the nursing program.
A minimum GPA of 2.75 in these five courses is required. If prerequisite coursework is repeated, no more than one ‘D’ or ‘F’ in each of these courses is allowed. No prerequisite coursework may be in progress at the time of application.
If any prerequisite coursework was taken outside of the FRCC system, you must have your transcripts officially evaluated through the FRCC Admissions & Records Department. All prerequisites must be transferred to your FRCC transcript before applying. Evaluations take up to 30 days to complete after Admissions & Records receives the official transcript and the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form. To be considered 'official', transcripts may not be issued to the student. Transcripts must be mailed directly from the previous college to the FRCC Admissions & Records department.
4. Take HESI A-2 Entrance Exam
5. Optional: Healthcare related employment or volunteer time within the last 5 years
- The required subject areas are: English Language (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Grammar), and Math. The Learner Profile ID (learning style and personality profile) is also required but will not be considered in scoring your application.
- You must have a minimum cumulative score of 70% on the HESI to apply to the FRCC Westminster Nursing program.
- The exam may only be taken twice in 365 days and must be current as of 15 months of application. It is offered at the Testing Center at the FRCC Westminster Campus and Prometric Testing Centers. Learn more about taking the HESI exam.
- If you have 250 hours or more of work experience as a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), or are employed or volunteer in a position providing direct contact with patients in a healthcare environment, you may submit a signed letter from your supervisor verifying employment or volunteer hours with your application.
- You must use this form letter.
6. Optional: Health Care Certifications/Licenses
7. Optional: Tie-Breaker Essay
8. Complete the online Nursing program application
- You may submit a copy of current certification or licenses for consideration
- CPR does not qualify.
- Examples of acceptable certifications or licenses are CNA, EMT, Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Office Technician, Medical Assistant, and Health Information Technician.
9. Retain a copy of your application and all documentation for your records.
- You will be notified of your placement status via your student email (@student.cccs.edu) 30 days after the deadline.