RTD Diesel Technology (DTECH) Training
Be a part of an exclusive group of students, hand-selected by RTD, to participate in a hands-on Diesel Technology Training Course offered in cooperation with Front Range Community College.
Selected individuals will learn from one of the largest transit services in the nation and train on actual RTD vehicles. And, upon completion of the course, you are guaranteed a test and interview with RTD*.
How to Apply
Applicants will be selected by RTD.
- Complete the online application
- Include a letter of reference from your instructor
- Deadline to submit application and reference letter is Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
- Applicants must have successfully completed courses including:
- Basic Electrical
- Automotive Systems
- Foundation Brakes
- Gasoline Engines
Course Dates, Times & Location
|June 6 – August 22, 2017
|Tuesdays & Thursdays
7:30 am - 12:30 pm
|Regional Transportation District
Bus Operations Department
1900 31st Street
Denver, CO 80216
Twelve students will be selected to attend at a reduced amount of $500 (full value is $2,500).
Medium / Heavy Duty Diesel (96 hours)
Heavy Duty Brakes
- Covers the theory and operation of all major brake system components including brake shoes / pads, brake drums / rotors, S-cams, brake chambers, calipers, brake air valves and wheel seals.
- This class will include the tear down and reassembly of the various brake assemblies used on RTD coaches to include W Series and Meritor EX and DX Disc Brakes.
- Also covered are service, adjustments and troubleshooting procedures necessary to maintain the coach brake system including Traction Control and Stability Control.
Heavy Duty Diesel
- Covers the theory and operation of the fuel system, injectors, turbo, exhaust after-treatment and general information on the Cummins ISL, ISM, ISMe and ISX electronic controls using the Insite electronic diagnostics.
- Complete engine evaluation and tune-up of the Cummins ISM and ISMe engines will be stressed.
- Cummins ISX & ISL engine familiarization will be provided.
Coach Air System
- Includes all major air system components including compressors, governors, application valves, relay valves, air bags, shuttle and check valves.
- Troubleshooting and schematic reading will be stressed.
* JOB REQUIREMENTS TO WORK FOR RTD: Experience in a heavy duty or flat rate mechanical shop, degree from a recognized automotive/diesel school, or completion of the RTD DTECH program. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Not more than five (5) points assessed against motor vehicle record (MVR) in the past two (2) years. Also no DUI, DWI, or reckless driving in the past 24 months. Ability to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination by obtaining a DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate for a minimum of a 2-year qualifying period and then maintain a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate thereafter. This includes drug testing.
Ability to pass a RTD required Physical Ability Assessment (PAA) related to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job. Ability to obtain and maintain a current valid Colorado Commercial Driver's License with an air brake and passenger endorsement (Class A-P2).