Concurrent Enrollment is a program in which qualified students in 9th-12th grades in a school district or charter school take courses for both high school and college credit. The school pays students’ tuition for approved courses, though the student may be responsible for class books and/or fees. Classes may be taken on the high school campus or FRCC campus.

ASCENT stands for “Accelerating Students through Concurrent ENrollmenT.” Students who have completed at least 12 credit hours of transcripted postsecondary credits (non-remedial) prior to completion of their 12th grade year may be eligible for the ASCENT Program. Students take courses primarily on college campuses, the high school/district pays the student’s tuition, and students receive their high school diplomas at the end of their ASCENT year. Students must work with the high school to be approved for the ASCENT program.

College Now provides students an opportunity to take college level courses that may apply toward their future college major, or that help them learn a skill to join the workforce. The college rigor level fosters critical thinking and offers incentives to advance beyond the high school level. Students benefit from the support of both high school and college staff in transitioning from high school to college in a comfortable environment.

FRCC offers a variety of course options, including:

  • career and technical education (CTE) courses, leading to partial or full completion of a certificate program,
  • general college courses, or
  • guaranteed transfer (GT) pathways courses.

Students can work with their high school counselor and College Now staff to determine what courses may be available.

Concurrent enrollment courses must apply to a student’s Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) at the high school.

Concurrent Enrollment classes must be approved by the school or district.

After completion of College Now courses, grades are applied to students’ high school transcripts, and to their FRCC’s transcripts, which may include the full or partial completion of a degree or certificate, and may be transferable to four-year universities.

FRCC partners with local high schools to offer classes at the high school or enroll students in classes offered at the college campus. Students are encouraged to talk with their high school counselor about options for their school.

Check with your high school to see if and how college classes are weighted in your high school GPA.

College tuition consists of two parts in Colorado: the student share of tuition and the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend. In Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT, the high school pays the student share of tuition. Students also apply for and authorize the COF stipend to pay that portion of their tuition. All Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT students are eligible for the COF stipend, but if they do not apply or for some reason do not receive it, the student is responsible for paying the COF amount to FRCC. 

Students are encouraged to check their bill in eWOLF to verify that the COF stipend has processed while also viewing other fees they may owe for classes.

Here's how to authorize COF in eWOLF:

How to Authorize COF

FRCC offers a variety of ways for students to qualify for courses. This may include review of students’ SAT or ACT scores, administering the Accuplacer test, or looking at students’ high school coursework to determine placement. Students are encouraged to talk with College Now staff and their high school counselor to see what may be needed to qualify for the classes they plan to take.

Talk with your high school counselor to learn more about classes available to you and requirements to enroll. If approved, College Now staff will help you register in your FRCC student account (eWOLF) before the class begins.

Here's how to register with your Course Registration Number (CRN):

How to Add Classes

The high school will pay the tuition for all approved courses. The student may be responsible for any applicable course fees, and for the textbooks required. Talk with your high school counselor or the College Now staff at your FRCC campus for more information.

Yes. All students participating in the Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT programs are eligible to apply for the COF stipend. If COF is not processed, FRCC will charge the student the stipend amount.

College Now students are assessed and earn credit when they successfully complete a course with a final grade of C or better. Grades are based on any tests, papers, projects or other assignments required over the course of the semester. In AP classes, students complete a year-long class and take a one-time test at the end of the year. Students may be eligible for college credit if they score a 3 or higher, and if the college they attend after high school accepts AP credit.

Courses taken in the Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT programs transfer between institutions to the same extent that the same courses taught on the college campus transfer. Students should work with their counselors at the high school and college to determine how the specific courses they take as part of Concurrent Enrollment or ASCENT can transfer between institutions. Students are encouraged to talk with the college or university they plan to attend after high school to verify if classes will transfer prior to registering for classes.

Students with a disability must self-identify with the high school counselor. If you already receive academic support in your high school class—such as time and a half on tests, a reduced distraction testing location, a test reader, preferential seating, or copies of class notes—please let your counselor know before the semester begins that you will need support in your College Now course as well. If you require more support, your high school counselor will direct you to set up an in-take appointment with your campus Disability Support Services Coordinator. Be prepared to present documentation of your disability at your appointment.

Contact the Disability Support Services office with questions about how you can make sure you are supported with the learning resources you need.

FRCC considers grades of A, B, and C as passing grades that apply toward a degree or certificate. Though a high school may accept D as passing, it will not count toward college credit.

Students and their parents or guardians may be required to sign a document agreeing to reimburse the school if the student withdraws from, or receives a final grade of D, F, W, or Incomplete in any class. Students’ grades will always appear on their college transcript and may impact financial aid eligibility, as well as the ability to continue at FRCC in good academic standing after high school, in the future.

Not usually. Students who choose to continue at FRCC within a year of their College Now classes will not have to re-apply for admission. If a student has taken more than a year break between classes, a new application will be required to update the student’s account; however, the student’s id number (S#) will be the same.

Students can drop the class from their FRCC record before the published census (drop) date for the course. By dropping, the class comes off the college transcript and no tuition is charged. Students can withdraw from a class later in the semester if needed to avoid receiving a failing grade in the course. Students must talk with their high school counselor for approval to drop or withdraw as it may affect high school requirements.

Students can view the drop and withdrawal dates for their classes in their course schedule in eWOLF.

Yes. FRCC follows the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) law, which impacts all students regardless of age. This means that students who begin college classes, even if they are under 18, will have their records protected under FERPA.