Types of Financial Aid

Unlike loans, grants do not need to be repaid. Below are several types of grants available to eligible FRCC students.

All of these grants are available only to students without a prior bachelor's degree and are "need-based." Need-based grants are those which only available to students who have a financial need, based on a federal formula.

Federal Pell Grant

If you are eligible for this federal grant, we will prorate the amount paid based on the number credits you are taking.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

These limited funds are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, which is why it is important that you submit your FAFSA for the upcoming school year by the Priority Deadline of April 1. You must be taking 6 or more credits to be eligible.

Colorado Student Grant

Because this grant is funded by the state, you must be a Colorado resident. The funds are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, and you must be enrolled in 6 or more credits to be eligible.

The state of Colorado allots funding for students who have achieved high academic success. Students must be enrolled in 9 or more credit hours and be a Colorado resident. Please check with the Financial Aid Office on current requirements.

There are two kinds of Federal Direct Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Both types have the following in common:

  • Low-interest loans that must be repaid by the student (visit Federal Student Aid for the current interest rates on these loans).
  • Origination fees are not to exceed 1.5% of the loan, which will be subtracted from each semester's payment.
  • To be used for education-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, living costs, transportation, and childcare.
  • Must be repaid once you graduate or if you stop attending classes as at least a half-time student (6 credits). 
  • First time borrowers of Stafford Loans at Front Range Community College are subject to a 30 day hold of their first loan disbursement.

 The main difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans is listed below. Visit Federal Student Aid for additional information about these loans.

Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans

  • Interest-free while you are enrolled in at least 6 credits while in a degree-seeking program (undergraduate or graduate)
  • As of July 1, 2013, federal limitations were implemented on borrowing Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans. More information regarding this regulation can be found in the Federal Student Aid document: Time Limitation on Direct Subsidized Loans.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

  • Accrue interest while a student is enrolled in school (and during the repayment period)

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Eligibility Requirements:

To be eligible for a Stafford Loan, you must:

  • Complete a FAFSA, and all required documents must be submitted to FRCC.
  • Be enrolled in a financial aid eligible degree and/or certificate program and taking 6 or more credits.
  • Comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy; visit Keep Your Aid & Maintain Eligibility for more information. 

First-time borrowers must complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling session and the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note.

The Federal PLUS loan can be borrowed by parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for the student's education. PLUS loans are typically less expensive than private student loans because PLUS loan borrowing terms are regulated by the U.S. Department of Education. Visit Federal Student Aid for the current interest rate.

PLUS Loans: 

  • Parents apply each academic year and are approved or denied based on their credit history
  • If an application is denied, the student usually becomes eligible to borrow up to $4,000 in additional unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans
  • Visit Federal Student Aid for the current interest rates on PLUS loans
  • Origination Fee: 4.228% of the loan
  • Available Repayment Plans: Standard Repayment, Extended Repayment and Graduated Repayment

See how to apply >

Federal Work-Study

Federal work-study (FSW) is a need-based financial aid program that helps students with employment opportunities on campus, or within the community.

Colorado Work-Study

Colorado work-study (CWS) is a financial aid program designed to assist students with employment opportunities on campus, and may be awarded to students who have indicated an interest in work-study on the FAFSA. These are limited funds may be awarded to Colorado residents only.

For both work-study programs:

  • Students cannot begin work until all personnel paperwork has been completed
  • Students cannot work more than 20 hours a week
  • Students must remain enrolled in 6 credits during the time that they are employed through work-study to maintain eligibility
  • Students must submit accurate time sheets on a regular and timely basis
  • Students receive a bi-weekly paycheck
  • Students' earnings are taxable, but these wages are excluded in the need calculation on the FAFSA
  • Students cannot exceed the work-study award
  • To be eligible for a work-study award, you must complete a FAFSA application, be eligible to receive financial aid, and be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours
Learn more about work-study >

Contact Financial Aid

Email us or contact office at your campus:

Boulder County Campus

Phone: 303-404-5250

Fax: 303-678-3693

Larimer Campus

Phone: 970-204-8376

Fax: 970-204-8445

Westminster Campus

Phone: 303-404-5250

Fax: 303-439-9454

financial aid