Important to Know
- Admission into the Front Range Community College/Larimer Campus Registered Nursing Program is an application process. View the Registered Nursing Admissions Ranking Table.
- Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements detailed below and apply during the specified application period.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed nor will the Nursing Department accept any additional materials after the posted deadline.
Steps to Apply
1. Apply to FRCC
2. Complete the Student Placement Form to determine if you need to take placement tests.
If admitted into the registered nursing program, students must be prepared to take MAT 103: Math for Clinical Calculations in the first semester with their cohort. Do NOT take MAT 103 until you are officially accepted into the registered nursing program.
Students may test into MAT 103 in the following ways:
- Score of 61 or better on the elementary algebra assessment
- ACT math score of 19 or higher within the past 5 years
- SAT math score of 500 or higher within the past 5 years
- If the SAT was taken before March 1, 2016, a score of 460 or higher in math is required
- Successful competition of MAT 050 - Qualitative Literacy (4 credits)
- Successful completion of higher level math course (MAT 107 does not qualify)
- Learn more about placement testing.
3. Complete the following courses with a letter grade of “C” or higher:
ENG 121 English Composition I (3 credits)
- PSY 235 Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- HPR 108 Dietary Nutrition (1 credit) - or - HWE 100 Human Nutrition (3 credits recommended for BSN)
- BIO 201 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4 credits with lab)
- BIO 204 Microbiology (4 credits with lab)
- BIO 202 Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4 credits with lab)
- It is optional to take this course prior to applying (must be completed to earn A.A.S.) Applicants receive two additional points on application if a grade of “C” or better is earned prior to applying.
Please note the following:
- All required science courses must be completed within 7 years of entry into the RN program.
- If the coursework listed above is repeated, no more than one “D” or “F” in each course is allowed within the previous 5 years.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for ENG 121, PSY 235, BIO 201, and BIO 204. HPR 108/HWE 100 and BIO 202 are excluded from the calculation.
- The coursework listed above may not be “‘in progress” at the time of applying.
4. Credit must be transferred to FRCC prior to submitting an application to the registered nursing program.
- If courses were taken outside of the FRCC system, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form.
- Ask previous colleges to send official transcripts directly (electronic or mail) to the FRCC Office of the Registrar.
- Note: FRCC will not evaluate transcripts that are issued to student, hand-carried, or faxed.
- The Office of the Registrar must receive the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form and all official transcripts before starting the transfer credit evaluation. Once all documents are received, the evaluation can take up to 30 days.
- Learn more about the transfer process.
5. Take HESI A-2 Entrance Exam.
- The subject areas are: Reading Comprehension, Math, Biology, and Chemistry.
- A minimum cumulative score of 75% percent is required to apply to the registered nursing program.
- June 19, 2018 - March 29, 2019 The HESI A-2 may only be taken twice in 365 days, test scores are valid for 15 months. Only one set of scores may be submitted with the registered nursing application.
- Starting March 30, 2019 the HESI A-2 may only be taken once in 365 days, test scores are valid for 15 months.
- The exam is offered at the FRCC/Larimer Campus Testing Center (exam cannot be taken on Saturdays) and Prometric Testing Centers.
- Learn more about taking the HESI exam.
6. Complete the online registered nursing program application.
- Fall 2019 semester applications will be accepted February 18 through March 29, 2019.
- You will need to upload electronic copies of the following documentation with your application:
- Unofficial FRCC Transcript (no other transcripts will be accepted)
- HESI A-2 Summary Page
- Note: Retain a copy of all documentation for your records. You will be notified of your placement status via your student email (@student.cccs.edu) within 30 days after the deadline.