Important to Know
- Admission into the Front Range Community College/Larimer Campus Nursing Program is an application process. See the application ranking criteria.
- Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements detailed below and apply during the specified application period.
- Applications are accepted twice a year, once for fall and once for spring admission.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed nor will the Nursing Department accept any additional materials after the posted deadline.
Steps to Apply
1. Apply to FRCC
2. Complete the Student Placement Form to determine if you need to take placement tests.
If admitted into the Nursing Program, students must be prepared to take MAT 103: Math for Clinical Calculations in the first semester with their cohort. Do NOT take MAT 103 until you are officially accepted into the Nursing Program.
Students may test into MAT 103 in the following ways:
- Score of 61 or better on the elementary algebra assessment
- ACT math score of 19 or higher within the past 5 years
- SAT math score of 500 or higher within the past 5 years
- If the SAT was taken before March 1, 2016, a score of 460 or higher in math is required
- Successful competition of MAT 050 - Qualitative Literacy (4 credits)
- Successful completion of higher level math course (MAT 107 does not qualify)
Learn more about placement testing.
3. Complete the following courses with a letter grade of “C” or higher:
- ENG 121 English Composition I (3 credits)
- PSY 235 Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- HPR 108 Dietary Nutrition (1 credit) - or - HWE 100 Human Nutrition (3 credits) recommended for BSN
- BIO 201 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4 credits with lab)*
- BIO 204 Microbiology (4 credits with lab)*
*All science courses must be within 7 years of entry into the nursing program.
A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for the general education coursework listed above. Nutrition is excluded from the calculation. If the above general education coursework is repeated, no more than one 'D' or 'F' in each of these courses is allowed within the previous 5 years. None of the coursework above may be ‘in progress’ at the time of application.
The coursework above must be listed on your FRCC transcript before submitting an application to the nursing program. If any courses were taken outside of the FRCC system, you must complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form and ask previous colleges to send official transcripts directly (mail or electronic) to the FRCC Office of the Registrar. FRCC will not evaluate transcripts that are issued to student, hand-carried, or faxed. Once the Office of the Registrar receives official transcript(s) and the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form, evaluations can take up to 30 days to complete.
- Complete BIO 202-A&P II with a grade of C or better before applying.
4. Take HESI A-2 Entrance Exam.
- The subject areas are: Reading Comprehension, Math, Biology, and Chemistry.
- You must have a minimum cumulative score of 75% on the HESI to apply to the Nursing program.
- The exam may be taken twice in 365 days and test scores can be used for up to 15 months.
- You may take the exam at the FRCC Larimer Campus Testing Center or a Prometric Testing Center.
- Learn more about taking the HESI exam.
5. Complete the online Nursing program application.
You will need to upload electronic copies of the following documentation with your application:
- Unofficial FRCC Transcript (no other transcripts will be accepted)
- HESI A-2 Summary Page
Retain a copy of all documentation for your records.You will be notified of your placement status via your student email (@student.cccs.edu) within 30 days after the deadline.