Important to Know
- Admission into the FRCC Larimer Campus Practical Nursing Program is an application process. See the application ranking criteria.
- Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements detailed below and apply during the specified application period.
- Applications are accepted once a year - in the spring for fall admission.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed nor will the Nursing Department accept any additional materials after the posted deadline.
- Please note, regarding online classes:
- NUR 101 Pharmacology Calculations is not accepted for credit to meet program completion requirements by the Larimer campus Practical Nursing program, if taken online.
- BIO 106 Basic Anatomy and Physiology will be accepted if taken online.
- Immunizations, AHA BLS Provider card, drug screen, and a background check will be required once admission to the program is offered.
Steps to Apply
1. Apply to FRCC.
2. Complete the Pre-Registration form to determine if you need to take an academic assessment before registering for classes.
For more information, visit the Testing Center page.
3. Complete the following prerequisite coursework with a letter grade of “C” or higher.
These must be completed before starting the nursing courses, and can be taken summer semester.
- ENG 121 English Composition I
- BIO 106 Basic Anatomy & Physiology —OR—
- BIO 201 Human Anatomy & Physiology I AND BIO 202 Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- If prerequisites are repeated, no more than one D or F in each course is allowed within the previous 5 years.
- Required science courses must be completed within 7 years of entry into the practical nursing program. We will only look at the first two attempts of science courses within those 7 years and will take the higher grade.
4. Transfer credit to FRCC (if applicable).
5. Take the HESI A-2 Entrance Exam.
- Subjects required: Reading Comprehension, Math, Biology, and Chemistry.
- A minimum cumulative score of 60% is required to apply to the Practical Nursing program. To calculate your cumulative score, average scores for the following subjects: Reading Comprehension, Math, Biology, and Chemistry.
- The HESI A-2 exam may only be taken once in 365 days. Test scores are valid for 15 months.
- The exam is offered at the FRCC/Larimer Campus Testing Center (the exam cannot be taken on Saturdays) and Prometric Testing Centers.
- Learn more about taking the HESI A-2 exam.
6. Complete the online Practical Nursing program application.
The priority application period for the Fall 2021 Practical Nursing program has closed. If spots open over summer, we will reopen the application and make notice on this website at that time.
- Applicants must upload electronic copies of the following documentation with their application:
- Unofficial FRCC Transcript (no other transcripts will be accepted)
- HESI A-2 Summary Page
- Retain a copy of all documentation for your records. You will be notified of your placement status via your student email (@student.cccs.edu) within 30 days after the deadline.