The Front Range Community College TRIO Upward Bound (UB) Program is a supportive learning community. We help Westminster High School students and their families navigate educational and career pathways. TRIO Upward Bound is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education and serves 60 students annually.
You can apply to TRIO UB if:
- You are a student at Westminster High School
- You are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- You can demonstrate academic need with potential for success
- You meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You are a first generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor degree)
- You are low income as defined by federal guidelines.
How to Apply
- Learn about the program and time commitments
- Complete an interest form with your assigned counselor or Future Center staff.
- Speak with Upward Bound staff via phone or in person during office hours.
- Attend an information session during lunch or after school.
- Submit an Upward Bound Application
- Complete interview and recommendation forms
We accept applications on an ongoing basis. Applicants may be placed on a waiting list until space is available.
What You Can Expect from TRIO UB
TRIO Upward Bound participants engage in an academic learning community during the school year at Westminster High School and during the six-week Summer Academy at Front Range Community College. See daily summer schedule. All activities focus on exposing students to various career and college pathways while enhancing academic, financial and leadership skills.
During the school year, Upward Bound offers Alpha Lab after-school multiple days per week for tutoring and Wolfpack Wednesdays during the afternoon for community building, group activities, and field trips. During the Summer Academy, participants take advantage of working directly with faculty at Front Range Community College to enhance their skills.
Some benefits of participating in TRIO Upward Bound include but are not limited to the following:
- Assistance with high school and college course selection
- Personalized guidance with academic, leadership, and life skills development
Academic preparation and college readiness
- Access to individual tutoring and study groups
- Support with completing rigorous high school course work
Exposure to college and career pathways
- Engage in college campus and career industry presentations and tours
- Increase self-awareness through activities to understand strengths and interests
Expand financial decision-making skills
- Develop understanding of financial aid, scholarships and application processes
- Improve money and credit management skills
Engage in fun enrichment activities
- Exposure to social and cultural activities
- Opportunities to participate in service projects
Build social networks
- Develop network of peers that are seeking similar opportunities in life
- Increase professional network through TRIO connections
Upcoming Activities for 2017-2018
Dates are tentative and subject to change.
- Regular Individual Coaching Sessions with UB Academic Counselor at Westminster High School
- UB Lab for homework completion and tutoring sessions at Westminster High School as needed
- Wolfpack Wednesday Sessions (1:00–5:00pm) – group activities, cultural excursions, college visits
- Family Welcome and Orientation – complete documentation for participation (May 9 or 12)
- Summer Session @ Front Range Community College, Westminster Campus (June 4 –July 13, 2018)