To register for most college-level courses, students must complete (or take at the same time) the College Composition and Reading (CCR) or English requirement. If you need to take a CCR course and you have trouble registering or you get a prerequisite error message, please call:
Boulder County Campus: 303-678-3628
Larimer Campus: 970-204-8332
Westminster Campus: 303-404-5000
Brighton Center: 303-404-5099
Online Learning: 303-404-5513
What is a Prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a requirement that must be met before you can enroll in certain courses.
For example, at FRCC, before you can take ENG 122: English Composition II, you must meet one of these requirements:
- ENG 121: English Composition I, completed with a “C” better
- ACT English score of 26
- SAT Verbal score of 600
- AP English and Language Composition score of 3
What is a Co-requisite?
A co-requisite is a course that, in most cases, must be taken at the same time or in the same semester as another course.
Some co-requisites can be taken prior to the class. For example, MAT 121: College Algebra is a co-requisite for CHE 111: College Chemistry I, unless it has already been taken.
How Do I Find Prerequisites & Co-Requisites?
All prerequisites or co-requisites are included in the course descriptions as listed in the current course catalog.
How Do I Meet the Prerequisite Requirement?
You can meet a prerequisite with one of the following test scores if taken within the last five years:
- Placement Test scores
- Appropriate SAT/ACT scores
- AP test scores
- CLEP scores
- DSST scores
- Prior college level credit earned from a regionally accredited university or college completed with a grade of "C-" or higher. (Note: Science courses must have been completed within the last seven years.)
Simply submit (or email from a student.cccs.edu account) an unofficial copy of your transcripts to your campus advising or testing center to show you've met the prerequisite with previous coursework or test scores. When submitting information by email, please include your name, S number and the course(s) for which you are registering.
Are There Other Ways to Satisfy Prerequisites?
- If you are currently taking a course at a different institution and need to register for the higher level course at FRCC, take proof of your enrollment in the course to the campus advising department. You will also need to submit proof of a final passing grade one week after that course ends or you will be dropped from the higher level course at FRCC.
- In certain subject areas, a prerequisite override may be an option. Please see the appropriate campus academic department, if you feel this applies.
- If you intend to earn a certificate or degree from FRCC and have had previous college-level learning experiences (through testing, other colleges, or job training), see how to transfer credit into FRCC.