In this Section
How to File Your FAFSA
1. Create an FSA ID
To sign your FAFSA electronically (and other Federal Student Aid documents), you and one parent (if you are a dependent student) must each have a FSA ID (which includes a username and password).
- Your FAFSA cannot be processed without signature(s). Signing the form electronically with your FSA ID is both fast and secure.
- It's important to remember this login information and keep it in a secure location, so that you can use it for future academic years.
You will use your FSA ID to renew your FAFSA each year and log into Federal Student Aid to monitor your financial aid information, such as previously used financial aid. In addition, you'll use your FSA ID to complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN), should you choose to borrow Federal Student Loans.
2. Complete the FAFSA
The FAFSA does ask for income tax information. To make the application process easier, you can choose the IRS Data Retrieval tool that will give you the option to transfer your tax return information directly in to your FAFSA.
Colorado residents should take advantage of the College Opportunity Fund.
3. Review your Student Aid Report
Within 2-4 weeks after you have submitted your FAFSA you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which summarizes your FAFSA and indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Review your SAR and make sure that the information is correct. If you need to make corrections, you can log in to studentaid.gov site to do so. Be sure to keep a copy of your SAR.
4. Check your email and eWOLF regularly
FRCC School Code: 007933
While you can file a FAFSA at any time during the academic year, we recommend that you file your FAFSA as early in the year as possible, as the application is now available starting October 1. Front Range Community College's Priority Consideration Date is April 1 of each year.
We use the Priority Consideration Date to offer certain state/institutional grants and work-study, so the sooner you submit your FAFSA, the greater your potential of receiving these types of aid.
- When filing your FAFSA, you will have the option to save your application and finish it later
- If you have filed your taxes with the IRS, we strongly recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval tool (available with the online FAFSA Application only) to import your income and tax information directly to your FAFSA. This will also make you less likely to be selected for verification.
- Help is available through the question mark icon for many questions on the FAFSA
You will need to have some information on hand prior to starting your application:
- Front Range Community College's federal school code: 007933
- Driver's license number
- Social Security Number
- W-2s and tax returns for the previous tax year as well as records of other untaxed income received
- Current bank statements and other statements of your investments
- Current business information
- Alien registration card or permanent resident card (if you are not a US citizen)