F-1 Visa Change of Status

Applying for Change of Status to F-1 Visa

The current timeline for receiving a decision from USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) for Change of Status decisions is 5 to 12 months. Depending on your circumstances, it may be advisable for you to return to your home country, apply for an F1 visa, and then return to the US on an F1 visa to study.

FRCC staff strongly encourages students who are inquiring about applying for a change of status to speak with an immigration attorney to discuss the change of status process. The I-20 document issued by the college is one of several documents required when you file with USCIS to request a change of status. The designated school official at the college who issues the I-20 document does not assist with paperwork required to file for a change of status—however, they can answer general questions regarding the process. 

Below are some federal government resources for you regarding the change of status process. Please review these resources and write down any questions you have before emailing additional questions or requesting an appointment to discuss your specific situation.

We strongly encourage you to seek the assistance of an immigration attorney when filing for a change of status.  The college does not give reference to a specific lawyer, but refers students to the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Your current visa status will determine whether you can begin taking classes or whether you need to wait for approval of your change of status to begin your studies.

Additional Information for B1 or B2 Visa

Since you are on a tourist visa B1/B2 visa, you are allowed to take courses for personal interest such as ESL-English as a Second Language, art or other individual courses. However, there are restrictions for studying on a B1/B2 visa—and B1/B2 visa holders are not allowed to enroll in a program of study to pursue a certificate or degree without changing their visa status to a student visa (F1). The college does offer non-credit ESL courses. If you take a course at the college while attending on a B1/B2 visa, you will want to make sure you are attending as a guest student and that you are undeclared for a program of study. 

Study in the States

Application Deadlines (If You Are in the US)

  • Summer semester: May 1
  • Fall semester: August 1
  • Spring semester: December 15

Apply as an International Student

  1. Apply for admission online
    There is no application fee. Additional documentation is required for international students to receive an I-20 which is needed to request an F-1 visa. Apply for admission.
  2. Submit required admissions documents
    Review requirements and submit required admissions documents. Please allow five business days for a response. Once we have reviewed your information we will email you. If you have not heard from us within five business days, please email us at international@frontrange.edu.
    • Use your FRCC student email within eWOLF.
    • Include your name and S number in all emails. 

Next Steps

  • Log in to the eWOLF student portal
    Click the Navigate icon and complete your To-Do items. Use your student ID number that was emailed to you when you were accepted to FRCC.
  • Meet with your pathways advisor
    Contact the Advising Office at your campus to schedule an appointment in-person, phone, and email appointments.
  • Attend new student orientation
    • Log in to eWOLF and click the Navigate icon to sign up for orientation. (choose on-campus or online orientation).
  • Attend our online international student orientation
    The online international student orientation includes helpful information for international students at FRCC, such as: important people to know on campus, what legal documents are significant to your F-1 Visa status, requirements of your F-1 visa status, and other tips for success during your time at FRCC. This orientation takes approximately 45-60 minutes to complete, and you will receive a certificate of completion after filling out our final survey at the end of the course. You will be prompted to enter your first and last name, and the personal email address you used when you applied for admission to FRCC. Then you will click "International Students" from the dashboard. Once you have completed the orientation, send an email with your name and student number so we know you have completed the orientation.

You will have holds on your registration until you complete the international new student orientation and meet with your pathways advisor.  These holds will be lifted as you complete these steps.

Once you have registered for classes, you will be assigned a CCCS student email account. Access your CCCS student email by logging into eWOLF and clicking on the student email icon. REMEMBER: Once you are a registered student, the CCCS student email is the official means of communication for FRCC. You are responsible for checking your student email account frequently and responding to any emails you receive.

After Orientation

You'll be ready to:

  • Register for classes
  • Pay for your classes
  • Get your student ID
  • Buy or rent your books


Email us, including your name and S number.


Feel free to reach out to our team.

Boulder County Campus

303-678-3635Email us


Larimer Campus

970-204-8107Email us


Westminster Campus

303-404-5414Email us

Semester Start Dates

  • Spring Semester 2023 starts January 17, 2023
  • Summer Semester 2023 starts May 30, 2023